It’s time to clean up his side of the sink!
Men need to take care of their skin too! I think sometimes men underestimate how much good hygiene including healthy nail and skin care can go towards attraction.
Our current Beautycounter line is marketed towards women but there is nothing about our products that means men can’t use them. Our packaging, labeling, and essential oil scented products are gender neutral. Using women’s skin care products won’t harm a man’s skin, but because men’s skin has specific biological needs, it’s best to use products that are designed specifically for them.
Counterman Collection launches TODAY!
Cleaner skincare is not just a women’s issue but a human issue. Grooming and skincare are two things that everyone does on a daily basis (hopefully), so it’s extremely important to know you’re putting on your body. By choosing natural products over potentially toxic options laden with harsh chemicals, you’ll get better results and healthier hair and skin.
Men’s skin is biologically different than women’s skin.*
- In general, men’s skin density is about 25% thicker than women’s—which is attributed to collagen density. They retain this density level for longer than women, resulting in younger-looking skin.
- Their skin tends to be tougher due to slower cellular turnover and constant shaving that disrupts the skin barrier.
- Their skin is oilier. Men generally produce more sebum than women and tend to be shinier and more prone to breakouts.
- Pore & follicle size is larger. Not only do men produce coarser and darker facial hair, but their pore size is larger, leaving skin more vulnerable to blackheads.
*1. AAD, DW August 21, 2014. “Biological differences in skin create challenges in treating men”. A Publication of the American Academy of Dermatology Association.
Did you know: Once a man hits 50, the signs of aging are immediate and advance at a more rapid pace.
The Counterman Collection provides all the building blocks needed to help keep men’s skin looking healthy.
Counterman is also for those tween and teen boys whose barriers to “good hygiene” include that they don’t want anything too fussy, smelly or too challenging to use. Our body bar and body wash with charcoal are ideal for this age group that pretty much always needs to wash armpits!
Let me tell you about the products and why they are special. The first 3 items are exactly what you need for basic daily care. That’s just 3 things.
- Daily Exfoliating Cleanser: Removes dirt, oil, and other impurities. Formulated without harsh irritants like Benzyl Benzoate, BHT & formaldehyde releasers, which can be harmful to human health. Use nightly to wash away the grime of the day.
- Clarifying Toner Pads: Remove excess dirt and oil with every swipe. Skin toners often contain polysorbates, ethoxylated solubilizers that may be contaminated with potentially harmful ingredients. Our Toner Pads use a combination of plant-derived solubilizers to blend oil and water-based ingredients for excellent performance and feel. Use nightly after cleansing or take to the gym or workouts to refresh if can’t fully wash your face. Our wipes are really good for this too!
- Oil-Free Face Lotion: Non-greasy daily moisturizer to boost hydration. Formulated without the use of silicones, polysorbate, colorants, and synthetic fragrances. Morning and night apply to clean face and neck.
- Smoothing Shave Cream: For a close, comfortable shave. Women can use this too! Fragrance-free and formulated without EDTA, polysorbates, and parabens which may be harmful to health.
- Cooling Aftershave Tonic: Refreshes and cools post-shave irritation. Formulated without PEGs, synthetic fragrances, formaldehyde releasers, and potentially toxic dyes. Apply directly to face after shaving, avoiding eye area. Do not rinse.
- Conditioning Beard Oil: To groom, condition facial hair, and relieve dry skin. But, it operates just like Beautycounter’s 3 facial oils. No Beard Required! My husband LOVES our oils on his face. It is also great for ingrown hairs. Formulated without cyclic silicones and styrene which can be harmful to health and the environment. Massage a small amount daily into facial hair. Groom downward with fingers or a comb. Or if your skin is dry pat onto your damp face and massage in.
- Energizing Charcoal Body Wash: Cleanses impurities and helps detoxify. Free of synthetic fragrances, dyes, parabens, and ethoxylated ingredients which can contain potentially harmful impurities. Instead, it is formulated with coconut-derived cleansing ingredients.
- Charcoal Body Bar: Invigorating bar soap washes away impurities. Fragrance-free. Instead, we used natural extracts and oils to deliver an energizing scent and rich moisturizing properties.
Each product is formulated with sustainably harvested sequoia stem cells to help firm skin and protect against free radicals.
If you are interested in smaller sizes of the cleanser, shave cream, tonic, and lotion we have a limited edition travel set. It includes smaller versions of 4 men’s skincare and shave essentials—all tucked into a sleek Dopp kit.
INFO ON TOXINS IN MEN’S PRODUCTS
I invite you to read these 4 interesting articles:
- Beautycounter carves out a niche in clean skincare for men
- Reducing Environmental Toxins for Men from Beautycounter Consultant Beth Martin
- Toxins in Personal Care Products – Men Are Also at Risk
- The Products that Make Men Grow Breasts and Are Linked to Cancers of the Liver and Prostate
One of the concerns I have about men’s products is how heavily fragranced they are. I seriously can’t stand any of the products my husband used to use. The smell of them bothered me so much and lingered so long that it almost pained me to be near him.
He now uses all of the Beautycounter hair, body, and face products but it is the deodorant we mainly had an issue with. He tried several natural deodorants, but they gave him a severe rash in his armpits. He went back to the nasty stuff (nasty because it isn’t good for you and nasty because it is so heavily fragranced). But, I just couldn’t stand the smell and he finally found one he likes in Schmidt’s Charcoal + Magnesium Deodorant.
The 4th article hyperlinked above states this:
Owned by Unilever, the Axe brand includes a range of men’s grooming products with many of the ingredients never even tested for safety according to the C.I.R. – Cosmetic Ingredient Review. Axe products are loaded with endocrine disrupting chemicals. Endocrine disruptors are exogenous, synthetic chemicals that have hormone-like effects on both humans and wildlife and interfere with the endocrine system by either mimicking or blocking our natural hormones and disrupting their respective body functions.
At Beautycounter, we handpick every ingredient that goes into our products using our industry-leading screening and testing procedures. We apply this same rigorous selection process to every fragrance additive, including essential oils. That means our skincare and cosmetics, including Counterman, are scented with natural ingredients instead of synthetic fragrances with unknown components.
Bergamot and vetiver essential oils lend a fresh, woodsy scent inspired by the Sequoia tree. Daily Exfoliating Cleanser, Clarifying Toner Pads, Cooling Aftershave Tonic, and Conditioning Beard Oil feature this blend.
Energizing Charcoal Body Wash and Charcoal Body Bar feature a refreshing blend of natural citrus, mint, rosemary, and cedarwood oils.
Why is the Counterman Oil-Free Face Lotion formulated without oil or fragrance?
In general, men have oilier skin than women and may prefer an oil-free moisturizer. Therefore, no essential oils were added to fragrance the product. For balanced, healthy-looking skin, apply Oil-Free Face Lotion day and night.
What is the right way to use the Cooling After Shave Tonic?
After shaving, a man should rinse any residue off his skin and pat it dry with a towel before applying Cooling Aftershave Tonic. Water droplets can dilute the product and minimize its effectiveness.
Why is the Smoothing Shave Cream fragrance -free?
We strive to only use ingredients that add benefit to the performance or function of a product. Since the Smoothing Shave Cream is a shaving aid, it is not necessary to include an essential oil blend. The formula contains shea butter and Sequoia Stem Cell Complex, which is inherently aromatic for a pleasant shaving experience.
What is the daily regimen for Counterman?
1. Cleanse: Daily Exfoliating Cleanser
2. Prep: Clarifying Toner Pads
3. Treat: For shave—Smoothing Shave Cream (remember to shake well before use) OR For Beard— Conditioning Beard Oil
4. Protect: Oil-Free Face Lotion
What is the shaving regimen for Counterman?
Shaving can stress and irritate the skin since it’s a form of physical exfoliation.
1. Cleanse: Before you shave, prep your skin. Use Daily Exfoliating Cleanser to remove dirt and help exfoliate dead skin cells. Expert tip: You’ll get the closest shave right after a shower. Steam helps to open the pores and soften skin.
2. Prep: First, make sure to shake the bottle well before applying Smoothing Shave Cream. With a clean, sharp razor, begin shaving in the direction of hair growth, and then go back over the area in the opposite direction for a closer shave.
3. Treat: Post-shave care is just as important. Splash your face with cold water to help visibly tighten your pores and remove any residue. Pat skin dry, then follow up with Cooling Aftershave Tonic to calm post-shave discomfort and refresh the skin.
4. Protect: Always remember to follow up with a moisturizer, Oil-Free Face Lotion, to help protect and guard against environmental stressors.
How can men avoid flaky skin in the beard?
Dry, flaky skin can ruin the look of a well-groomed beard. Massage Conditioning Beard Oil into the beard area to help prevent flakes and to minimize dryness and itching. Expert tip: Apply it with clean hands, because any residue from hair-grooming products left on your hands can weigh down the look of your beard.
What other Beautycounter products can men use?
All of them. But, if you would specifically like to incorporate specialty treatments into your routine:
- Overnight Resurfacing Peel at night helps clear away dull surface cells and improve skin texture. Use after toning and then wait 5 minutes to dry. Put the Oil-Free Face Lotion over it.
- No. 3 Balancing Facial Mask helps draw out impurities and absorb excess oil. Use 1-2 times a week after toning and before face lotion.
- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30, featuring nano zinc oxide and California Poppy, provides UVA/UVB protection. Incorporate sun care into your daily routine. Expert tip: Apply sunscreen to your face, neck (including the back of the neck), and ears. Men generally have short hair, leaving the back of the neck and ears more vulnerable to sun exposure.
- Countercontrol SOS Acne Spot Treatment targets blemishes with proven results after just 3 days.
- Men too can get super dry hands, elbows, and feet in the winter and the Lemongrass Sugar Scrub is great for buffing off the dead skin and moisturizing those areas. Many men hate using women’s products if they smell girly. Our scrub smells fresh. After that, you can layer on the hand lotion or for deeper moisture our baby balm as it works great for really dry spots!
- And of course, I always recommend our body lotion or body butter, shampoo, and conditioner.
Do men need eye cream? YES!
- Countermatch Eye Cream: Ideal for men of all skin types looking for an eye cream with continuous hydration that helps minimize signs of aging.
- Rejuvenating Eye Cream: Ideal for men with mature skin looking to help reduce the look of fine lines, puffiness, and the appearance of dark circles.
- Nourishing Eye Cream: Ideal for men who want a lightweight, soothing eye cream.
NEED HELP OR WANT SAMPLES?
If you’re not sure which skincare items or cosmetics may be right for you or your skin type just complete this form or email me with some details about your skin and products you’re interested in and I’ll get back to you within 72-hours with my best recommendations.
BAND OF BEAUTY
Not a Band of Beauty Member with Beautycounter yet?! It is our loyalty program that includes some awesome benefits. If you’re going to shop with Beautycounter more than once or twice, this is seriously a no-brainer. It costs $29 to join and you get:
- 15% product credit to your account with each order
- $100+ orders get free shipping
- Free Charcoal Bar (worth $25) welcome gift when you spend $50 on 1st order (so that makes membership $4)
If you are on my mailing list you have access to my Beautycounter special offers and free products with purchases! You also get each blog post directly in your Inbox. Sign up here or at the bottom of the page.
I hope this has been an informative look into our new men’s skincare and that you’ll definitely consider trying these products. It’s never too late to start taking care of your skin! If you think your man won’t use this ask him for 30 days to see if his face feels and looks better.